Justice Connect have launched a new version of their self-help too Dear Landlord, a self-help tool that can identify what actions renters need to take and provide renters with the necessary guidance and information to help renters avoid eviction for rent arrears.
How Dear Landlord works -
Dear Landlord first asks renters a series of questions and, based on their answers:
- Empowers renters to generate tailored letters to their rental provider to negotiate a payment plan for rent arrears;
- Helps renters navigate VCAT proceedings, including generating VCAT review applications for renters who have missed VCAT hearings;
- Helps renters understand their rights under the new rent arrears process and what to expect
- Provides renters with information on ending leases;
- Provides renters with information on the transitional process if they have COVID-19 rent reduction agreements or orders; and
- Refers renters for specialised legal and financial help where it matters most.
To accompany the new version of Dear Landlord, Justice Connect have also produced an explanatory video that takes people through Victoria’s new rental laws.
The Commissioner likes to hear what renters are experiencing please click here to tell your story.