The Commissioner cannot help with individual renting issues. You should contact the appropriate government or community agency if you need:

  • information or advice
  • urgent help to talk to your real estate agent or rental provider 
  • guidance and help to resolve a dispute.

Understand your rights

Consumer Affairs Victoria

Provides information and advice to renters and residential rental providers on their rights and responsibilities under Victorian rental laws. It also receives complaints from renters about matters that arise during a tenancy. If there is evidence that a residential rental provider has not complied with Victorian renting laws, or if a renter has been unable to resolve a renting dispute themselves, Consumer Affairs Victoria may provide voluntary dispute resolution services.

Phone: 1300 55 81 81
Website: (External link)
Renting forms and publications: (External link)
To make a residential accommodation complaint, use the General complaint form (online) (External link).

Tenants Victoria

Provides information, confidential advice, assistance and advocacy for renters. Tenants Victoria does not give advice about disputes between co-tenants.

Phone: 03 9416 2577
Website:  (External link)

Housing for the Aged Action Group

Specialises in the housing needs of older people. Engages and works with older people through community activism, services and advocacy to achieve social change and housing justice.

Phone: 1300 765 178
Website:   (External link)

Seniors Information Victoria

Provides free information, via a volunteer-run phone line, about housing options for older people.

Phone: 1300 135 090
Website: (External link)

Financial support

Funded community agencies

Through its Tenancy Assistance and Advocacy Program, Consumer Affairs Victoria funds community agencies to help financially disadvantaged renters and residents of rooming houses, caravan parks and residential parks dealing with issues arising under a private rental agreement, to avoid homelessness. 

Phone: 1800 825 955
Website:  (External link)

Legal help

Victoria Legal Aid

Provides free legal information and education and legal services such as advice and representation for people who meet eligibility criteria, based on their financial situation, the nature and seriousness of their problem and their individual circumstances.

Phone: 1300 792 387

Federation of Community Legal Centres

Provides contact details for the community centres across Victoria that provide free legal services to the public. Community legal centres provide legal information, initial advice and in some cases ongoing assistance. Community legal centres focus on helping people who face economic and social disadvantage and who are ineligible for legal aid and cannot afford a private lawyer.

Website: (External link)

Settling disputes

Dispute Settlement Centre of Victoria

Provides free dispute resolution services for a range of matters, including disputes between renters or between residents.

Phone: 1300 372 888
Email:  (External link)
Website: (External link)

Victorian Equal Opportunity and Human Rights Commission

Helps resolve complaints about discrimination including discrimination based on age, sexual harassment, victimisation and racial or religious vilification. It offers a free, fair and timely dispute resolution service, with the aim of achieving a mutual agreement.
The Commission also educates people about the rights and responsibilities contained in the Charter of Human Rights (but it does not deal with complaints about the Charter).

Phone: 1300 292 153
Email: (External link)
Website:  (External link)

Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT)

Provides information for renters on making an application and the process for hearing cases, and conducts hearings to resolve disputes between renters and residential rental providers, and between rooming house owners, caravan park owners and residential park owners and residents. Like a court, VCAT can make legally binding decisions.

Phone: 1300 018 221
Email: (External link)
Website: (External link)