Tenants Victoria has updated its Family Violence Protection Tenancy Kit (the Kit) to incorporate the strengthened measures that came in through the recently introduced reforms to the Victorian Residential Tenancies Act 1997.
The Kit aims to help people affected by family or personal violence in rental housing know their rights, have a secure home and limit any financial loss, and was prepared by an expert team of lawyers and editors. Topics covered by the Kit include:
- Changing the locks and other safety modifications
- Getting an intervention order
- Staying in the rental property, or leaving it
- Privacy restrictions for inspections and other entries into your home
- Information for public housing renters
- Preventing tenant database listings
- Hearings at the Victorian Civil and Administrative Tribunal (VCAT).
The Kit is also a valuable resource for support workers and advocates who assist people affected by family violence or personal violence.
The Kit is available on the Tenants Victoria website .